Wednesday 12 October 2011

Ya'anga

Just stumbled on a song I don't like because i believe for that artist it was disappointing and it brought to mind my initial reaction to the way people dress up around here or should I say dress down
I have decided to write about fashion as I see it all around me
It must be because I am Nigerian that I can't seem to grasp the fashion here
I have seen all sorts and so I have come to the conclusion that there probably isn't a way to describe the way people dress up in these parts
So many people can't be wrong at the same time or can they?
It must be about the style of the individual which is no style a lot of times
Before you Judge me, I'm not a style icon but I try to include sanity in my choices and follow pattern and design rules as much as possible
I'm tempted to give up on colour all together because I seem to be among the few who consider hues and shades
I must complement the varied choices of jackets and boots

I absolutely love jackets and boots and being in the UK has provided me the opportunity to wear all kinds in style, length and colour
I suspect that the erratic weather is an excuse for the sometimes-shocking appearances, lets not get started on the hairstyles
I can hear daddy-daughter issues and baby drama just by looking at some people's hair. And the "I'm a druggie" styles abound
How about the new fad from china? Lenceless frames! I won't even get into that but I must say this, since there is hardly sunlight and they are not visibly impaired, the frames do well by themselves
Fortunately for me as so many people have pointed out, I arrived UK in the summer
SUMMER?!!
I'm wrapped in 2 layers of clothes constantly and you call this summer?!
My friend who has been living in Wolverhampton for over a year now has tried to get me prepared for the winter by saying I'll probably just increase my layers to 5, although a winter jacket will cover for 2 layers and then 3 layers of thick clothing underneath
Iv tried to picture me dressed up during the winter and I'm beginning to see why fashion is not such an issue, that will be putting the pressure on
Now I see that most people insist on using all their summer cloths before the awful winter cold comes in whatever forms or shapes they come in
A few people just left the crazy list for me
Listening to The Fray's "How to Save a Life" is giving me the idea that I will unconsciously reduce my chances of having many friends (which is a motivation) if I consider fashion statements
I henceforth hold my peace
Although I'm certain other none UK students have observed as I have and have taken advantage of the situation and shown up in the random
Just saying. . . Like Stevie Wonder "I just called to say I love You" and I mean it as the offshoot of my good experiences here in the UK

*Ya'anga means showing of your appearance after much ado

7 comments:

  1. hmmm.... if u ask, i'd say ur choice of music is in rthym to wats happening around u... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. fashion??? now I c why the french think British dress sense is crap.

    unfortunatley I ve fallen nsync with it. doing things that ordinarily I wouldnt dare in Naija. hahahhhaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really wish I thought about jotting down my experiences and musings in such a collected manner on arriving this cold country! I however look forward to catching up on your blog whenever I can. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I write down almost everything it's a matter of upload. Enjoy the read

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Joy you should come to the states, fashion is worse. You'll come to love it, no need to dress up, u'll get comfortable just rolling out of bed and heading to class. it has it's perks u know? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. joy, try this, why not accompany each post with a picture of the scene... just an opinion sha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. fashion is crazy for really,naija has d warm weather dats y we kip up wit dat.we cld just say then dat fashion in the uk is in ur boots n jackets,d inside no matter.lol

    ReplyDelete