Tuesday 18 October 2011

OYO (on your own)

Today (27/09) I realized that I was already behind in my academics, WHAT???!
I can't even ask how this happened because I'll then have to blame my academic background from Nigeria but that will mean I was inattentive during the extensive 2 week orientation process.

My academic background is to see your lecturers face-to-face to receive assignments, tests or research work. Usually, all required work is strictly according to course work and a few lecturers want what they have taught you and no "extras". Although, I did my undergraduate studies during the era of computers, I didn't need the incredible experience of the world wide web until it was time for my final year project. Before then I just checked and sent emails and patronized social networking sites. 6 years later, I'm faced with flunking my masters if I do not check my email every few hours. As a matter of fact, I have to remain signed into my school email address or I will be in as much shock as I am now.
The ICT induction was extensive and enlightening and I was introduced to a new and exciting world of learning primarily via the Internet. In the last 4 years, I have used the wealth of knowledge from the Internet to prepare my self for my chosen career in business and media development with the focus on concept and ideas development. I can say I know google can provide answers.
My acquaintance with the Internet did not prepare me for the kind of interactions I will be having with my lecturers which is both semi-formal and less cumbersome compared with the constant and time consuming physical appointments which can be cumbersome and nerve racking (especially with the accent barrier).
Now, I have 3 assignments due in 2 days of which 1 remains a mystery (don't tell P.L) and still trying to settle into my new accommodations.
I can very well blame my inadequacies on my lack of accommodations although I had a place to lay my head. Traveling to and fro Wolverhamptontook it's toll on my attention span. Leaving in the morning and returning in the night did little to alleviate my tiredness from orientations and induction. However, I now live a few minutes from school and can not complain of train rides and cues.
I foresee tomorrow to be spent mostly in the library and searching for a much needed laptop and returning a few undersized clothes.
Hopefully, most of my shopping will be completed tomorrow and the excuse of settling down in my new accommodations will be crossed out of the list of excuses for low performance. I can't use the accent barrier because I'm Nigerian and English is our lingua Franca taught with the Queens version totally embedded within. Although, we tend towards the American accent. . .I'll leave my Indian friend to use that as her excuse. Time to turn in, in anticipation of tomorrow.

*its loneliness when you realise you are not where you should be and you have to sort that out yourself, you're on your own

2 comments:

  1. I wld say we r spoilt in Nigeria coz of d way we were tot.bn der is no1's problem n getting ur assignments submitted after due date had shortcuts.but we r always tops so kip d flame up n 'kick sm ass'.thnk goodness u'r settled in nw so let's ride."All aboard"?(•͡.̮ •͡ )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally settled, good to know. Come, is this your room/deco? lol..
    Now is reality.com, get yourself together very fast and adjust appropriately cuz no story oh! There's always a first time & new experience...May u never be perturbed or quantized - no shakement! You are able girl, show your true color & ride on.. Besides, you aren't alone, so wear some smiles...
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete