Wednesday 5 October 2011

Johnny Just Come (JJC)

Preparing to leave Nigeria was not as hectic as it would have been for a first timer but I have two sisters schooling in the US so it was just a repeat of what their list contained plus plenty advice on the erratic weather of the UK
The day before my trip I asked one of my closest friends in a slight panic what I was doing

I had just registered a business development company that promised bountiful results and I am a home buddy
I was leaving family, friends and livelihood for a masters course still alien to most educated populace of my home country
Important question; how was I going to translate this degree into cash?
Only answer; deliberate use of cumbersome words and phrases
I had succeeded in a number of things though;
finding a course that promises to put all my passion into focus
Convincing my parents to pay a few millions for a course only I understood and would be the first to do in my entire village
Securing a visa and a place to stay on my arrival in the UK
And on friday evening I stood at the airport with 4 of my closest friends and my brother and asked again what I was doing
Everyone good naturedly tried to convince me that I was on the right part
They won't lie to me would they? Just wondering
I took off at 9.20pm in the company of a lady I met who had the name of a horror movie I remembered from my childhood
Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean's" and Adele in "21" kept me company all the way from Nigeria to Amsterdam
It was smooth enough
Although I had to endure the imposed company of a man who insists on being familiar even now
Getting off at Birmingham was as uneventful as I had not anticipated and all my FAQ's were useless
However, my recently made friend with the name of a horror movie didnt go through the same simplicity
She was delayed for about an hour (meaning I was delayed as well in waiting for her) and I sat there trying not to stare at the white people
They were everywhere I thought then I remembered, I was the foreign one, yeah me and a few other Nigerians and two Indians
She had nothing to prove she was in Birmingham to school and being a Nigerian attracted the necessary attention
Eventually we were freed
It was time for the train experience
Let me say here that we got in a lift after we were met by a friends friend and got out a few seconds later at the same floor we had just left before we realized we had not pressed a floor to get off from
We eventually located our train amidst the stress of 6 boxes
My friends friend had to stand by the train doors and watch our boxes, I wonder if he anticipated all the stress we can with from Nigeria
Yes yes yes I felt weird and cold and there were these bubbles in my chest, I have to say, Birmingham was not all I imagined but you can't blame me I had fantasized way passed the realistic
I got to this narrow door, passed this narrow corridor, up the narrow staircase and into the big-enough-for-a-student room
I don't have to tell you I woke up every hour that night
It was tiring not getting enough sleep but by morning my eyes were wide open, it was a Sunday so we went to a baptist church by the house and what a solemn assembly. I thought about my Pentecostal Nigerian background and almost laughed out loud during the prayer for the nation and all I could see was the chaotic, loud and persistent repetition of petitions we are proudly known for.
It was a warming rendition of "All for Jesus"
For the length of it I felt right at home.

6 comments:

  1. It really is a huge transition. Coming home and switching on the lights knowing the will comes on, drinking water directly from the tap. But the transition is full circle when you experience the dreaded winter with the real short days. Mind you, your not JJC but osofia in london.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Just decided to take a stab at the blogging thing myself. Talk about a jjc experience ;)
    Love your layout. Check out my first faltering steps at http://ben-ameh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Wonderful experience. I guess ur friends friend is still in the jjc category, still tryna upgrade "lmao". I prob should write about mine, that's if I still have a clear idea of the whole experience. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...jjc, many more moments to come. even after 3 years my friend still has "Osoufia moments".. thay are fun to relive. enjoy!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend just had a classic osoufia moments, coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear i know exactly how you felt. i know you should know how things work by now. i trust you. well very soon you would be the one showing the ones after you the ropes.

    ReplyDelete