Wednesday 22 February 2012

My Playlist 1



A month ago I was asked if I would be interested in representing my campus society on radio. I am the president of the Nigerian Students Society and among all the numerous things I was supposed to get involved in, this one sounded pretty interesting and I was intrigued because part of the deal was I learn how to produce and maybe I could decide to be a DJ sometime (smiles then chuckles). I replied that I would and that increased my activities by 15% even though I wasn’t on the radio yet. The producer wanted to know what I would be talking about, how “strong” my accent is, how interesting I could be and what kind of music would be played. To the last question, I answered, “Nigerian music of course” with my left eyebrow raised. Then I was asked to bring 20 tracks that did not contain, swearing, curse words and anything that may offend the diverse range of listeners but would represent talent and Nigeria as a country.


Here begins my dilemma. If I was asked to produce a list of gospel songs I could have just handed over my phone but . . . I decided to do some research into the music industry and I listened to 250 Nigerian songs in 10 hours and got a headache. I must say there are fantastic artistes in Nigeria. I discovered names I had never heard before, listened to songs that made me blush and others that made me almost smash my laptop. My astonishment was with the level of vulgarity in many of the songs I listened to. It was horrible. A lot were covered with slangs but it still stood out. Now that I had to sift songs it was so easy to hear those things I hadn’t heard before. 60% of the songs I heard were either vulgar or had words that are not allowed on student radio. I got tired of the “whyne and twist and shake and . . .” and the message was not forthcoming as I thought wise I left those songs to the clubs and parties.


Anyway, I came up with a list and after the show I will now quite regularly have to supply them Nigerian music which I am seriously considering sub-contracting (that’s a joke). I absolutely now love; Nneka, I think Bez is fabulous and Praiz is totally awesome. I’ve always liked Omowumi, and Timi Dakolo, and I will pay anyone who will get me to write and sing like Ty Bello(I’m her greatest fan from the lyrics to the videos) or Asa or Kore(the African thing is so becoming). Nutty Josh, Bouqui, Mr Phisha, Sizzle. . .constantly on replay. 2face defines talent and Sound Sultan is unique . . . and so are the Abaga brothers. For me M.I’s “Epic” is phenomenal but again the cursing didn’t help. And the list goes on. When I hear voices like Waje, Christine, Tiwa Savage, Obiwun and Samsong, I ask those silly questions like, “Where was I when God was sharing voices?” by now you can guess what my preferences are, so I decided to involve my twitter and facebook friends for a few suggestions.


Well, I got my list (not all my choice but with some external influences in the mix to make it appeal to a wider audience) and here it is;

1. K’naan Feat. M.I & Banky W – Waving Flag (Remix)

2. Ice Prince – Super Star

3. Bez Feat. Praiz – That Stupid Song

4. Ty Bello Feat. Mr. Phisha – The Future (Remix)

5. Omawumi – If You Ask Me

6. 9ice Feat. Tuface – Street Credibility

7. JJC Feat. Femi Kuti, El Dee, Da Grin, DJ Zeez, Kel, and Ay.com – We Are Africans

8. Jesse Jagz - Sugarcane Baby

9. Mo Cheddah - Ko Ma Ro

10. Jeremiah Gyang & Asa – Comforters Song

11. Tuface – Implication

12. Bez Feat. El Dee, Ice Prince & Eva – SuperSun

13. Brymo – Ara

14. Chidinma Feat. Sound Sultan – Jankoliko

15. Banky W. – Strong Thing

16. WizKid – Don’t Dull

17. Chuddy K – Gaga Crazy


18. 9ice Feat. Tuface – Life is Beautiful

19. Nneka – Heart Beat

20. El Dee Feat. LKT – Ota Mi


*big ups to producers as well, they add the flavour to the lyrics.

5 comments:

  1. I went through your playlist smiling.niiiice. Never a dull moment on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolzz u would have just asked me to send u my play list gat over 900 nigerian songs u can imagin

    ReplyDelete