Friday 3 February 2012

KOBO KOBO


I have developed a fascination with coins
Firstly because it's a new way of transaction I'm getting used to and secondly because em...em...they are coins(?)
Anyway, now I exchange my notes for coins when my stash begins to diminish and I always find ways to use them
I remember my first few weeks when I didn't know how to identify the coins and the cashiers will take pity on my confusion and point out which was which to me and all I could think of was "they are so many kinds" 8 different ones in total; 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2
Just yesterday, I kept counting out 1pence coins and I could see the surprise on the cashiers face, I'm sure she was going, "that's a lot of change" and I was going “but someone's got to use them, right?”
My favorite is the £2 coin, I think it's beautiful
Before I left Nigeria, I had to get some coins in order to use the pay phone (that didn't happen though) it was a good feeling to have coins that will be used
If you're Nigerian you'll know we haven't used coins in years
I got a few coins from Zenith Bank when I bought my flight ticket and it felt so strange transacting in coins
Now it's a norm, you can't even buy a bus pass on the bus without coins

And the trains!
I can't remember being on a train in Nigeria
It probably went out of use about the time I got to the age of awareness and if I’ve been on one it'll be for my mum to know
I don't love the trains as much as I love coins but it's great to have 2 things that work so well here like I’ve never seen before or experienced 


(Osuofia moment)
The last time I was at Asda with a friend (a fellow Nigerian) I was showing off using the self-service machine to pay for my purchase to his fascination and he kept saying "this is fantastic" and I just kept saying, "this is how we shop here" or "haven't you used one of these?" or "it's easier than queuing up" bla bla bla, like I have been here all my life (ha)
I remember the second time I was ever using the self-service machine, I skipped a stage without realizing it and almost caused a scene wondering why my note wasn't being accepted by the machine
After a few seconds a guy took pity on my obvious ignorance and showed me what I had missed
I didn't look back after paying I just turned and walked out smiling broadly at my self-caused ignorance
I'm sitting in a train to London and for the first time in 20 mins I am looking out of the window and it looks like it's 5pm but it's just 2.45pm
Oh, the dreadful weather of the UK
(*smiling*as far as it's not hot, I'm good)

3 comments:

  1. The word Showing off just made my day

    ReplyDelete
  2. @David, you missed obodoyinbo.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably would be arrested when I exhibit my own Osuofia genes

    ReplyDelete