Wednesday 26 November 2014

Who put the sour in sweet November???!



Who put the sour in sweet November???!

I watched my friend writhe in pain cause by the happenings of this month. He had lost his dad earlier this month just around the time someone he respected greatly passed on in a plane crash as well.

So we thought after the death of Myles Monroe we would get a breather. Of course, we can’t have anyone else die after such a great man? He was like hundred men in one. He lived such a purposeful life and touched so many people, institutions and nations. A friend pinged me a day after Myles Monroe’s passing and ask who he was, I was shocked and slightly offended that he didn't know who he was that the only answer I could come up with was “Ask Google”. Maybe I was over reacting but I believe just like Steve Job’s passing and Madiba’s passing would leave a dent in this world so would Myle Monroe’s.

And then I wake up to a message from a dear friend saying ChazB a fantastic On Air Personality and child of God had passed on too. I went numb for a moment and then I mumbled in the comfort of my room “nooooo, not you too”. Why couldn't some of these wicked and malicious politicians and religious bigots die instead I asked no one in particular.

What on earth was happening to sweet November?

I looked at the beeping red light from my phone and knew the news had gone viral. I wasn't ready to face my grief so I ignored them and curled back to sleep. But just like these precious lives, the sour that had been poured into my November had rid me of sleep too.

I didn't cry. I didn't laugh. I just went on with my life until when I chatted with my friend again and I realised three important people had been taken from him in such a short time and my heart broke finally. I felt sad and happy at the same time. Myles Monroe and ChazB had lived full lives even though to us it was short. They had such influence on people, we mourn them like we were kit and kin.

Life goes on right? And once again we have to pick up the pieces and move on. But this time, we MUST “find our place and fill our space” like Fela Durotoye would say. 

We do not plan to die but we must plan to leave behind a living legacy.

So it’s a sweet and sour November but we would hold on to the sweet and let the sour slowly slip away.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. abi, " Why couldn't some of these wicked and malicious politicians and religious bigots die instead ".... :( " about the findin our space, and movin on... #hmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This write-up is doing the right justice to the death of these great men. I couldn't hold it, I tried to pretend all was well but it was too obvious all wasn't well. We lost men, not some male with manhood but real men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh.
    To be honest, Charles' death hit me more than Myles'. But, they were both phenomenal men...role models in every sense of the word. Great losses to this generation.
    Like you, dear sister, I'll hold on to the sweet...and let the sour slip away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so painful but we are left with our lives to make a difference. Please let us make it count.

    ReplyDelete