Wednesday 18 September 2013

ADORN ME BEAUTIFUL


It twinkled and caught my eye, I turned and walked towards where I thought it came from and shortly after I was standing beside the most exquisite piece of jewelry I had yet to see. And of course as you may be wondering I picked them up gingerly, smiling like a 3 year old with her brand new doll and I walked over to the cashiers and paid for them. They were earrings shaped as a Christmas bouquet with tiny studs and the bow. I treasured them until they mysteriously disappeared from my collection. Needless to say, I loved them not because they cost me more than they should have considering where I bought them but because they were beautiful and I thought they suited me well.

Once someone asked me what my favourite thing at the moment was and I said my earrings and he almost choked with surprise. He told me he thought I’ll say my laptop or blackberry and looking at him curiously, I said, “They can always be replaced”. Now that was ridiculous to him because of 2 reasons; firstly, he couldn't understand how I could place more importance on earrings than a laptop, I could tell he was trying not to ask me if I couldn't just replace the earrings as well. Secondly, he is one of those "brothers" who think jewelry belongs to the unbelievers or disbelievers as the case may be. He didn't push it because I had my game face on and we had been through the “jewelry and makeup” argument before. I told him the last time we had this dilemma as it were that I wore jewelry and makeup not because it was in vogue or because I needed it but I liked it, simple, nothing more and I thought it could be used as an enhancer for the facial features and to suit the ensemble. He said some people look like masquerades and it is often overdone and I said, it’s just the same way as saying, ‘bad news travels fast’, the bad look is often more obvious than they good but then there is also the matter of “know-how”.

“Your beauty should not be dependent on an elaborate coiffure, or on the wearing of jewelry or fine clothes, but on the inner personality—the unfading loveliness of a calm and gentle spirit, a thing very precious in the eyes of God”. (J.B Phillips translation)

“Let not yours be the [merely] external adorning with [elaborate] interweaving and knotting of the hair, the wearing of jewelry, or changes of clothes” (Amplified)
1Peter3:3

No matter how you look at the adornment of a woman with makeup or jewelry, I can’t see how that will offend God. He is God and something’s I believe are either too mundane for Him or just amusing. Every time the scripture mentions our relationship with God it refers to our hearts and unless these things are becoming the focus of our hearts I believe God wants us to look beautiful and enjoy doing so but not at the expense of our true character that should reflect His. Also, because the Israelite's made a golden calf with their jewelry did not mean they stopped wearing them, on the contrary, ancient history shows that the more the jewelry you wore the wealthier you may seem to be, male or female. Every time in scripture a woman was to stand before the king or meet her husband, beautification rites were done and her skin painted as well as beautiful or royal cloths were given to her (see Esther2)

I completely agree with personal beliefs on abstaining from these adornments for personal reasons and convictions but that is what it is “personal” (and you should be obedient to the promptings of your heart). Or if they become distracting as anything can be to our focus as Christians then by all means lay them aside for a while. But always remember our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and should look as radiant and beautiful and well-kept as a temple befitting for our counselor, teacher, guide, helper, leader, confidant and friend should be. No matter how you want to dress up, always think of magnificence of Solomon’s temple and how awesome our final home will be and who you represent here on earth and oh, what an appearance you will make with that mind-set.

There are other underlying issues that make ladies appear the way they do sometimes and we can’t ignore that. There are insecurities, complexes, the voices of the world and misunderstanding that illustrate the saying that;

“The way you dress is the way you will be addressed”

But if you go around looking like a whore or a pauper you will definitely be treated as one.

And remember if it’s a matter of a Christian’s appearance and conduct trust God to get them there even if it takes time as;

“God speaks and relates to us at our level of revelation”
But don’t go judging others on matters they are not convicted about and don’t make yourself intolerable by being arrogant but “…But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing” James1:4



Ps

If you don’t know how to use these adornments please seek assistance from friends and even experts, a few tips won’t hurt and the outside should shine as beautifully as they inside as much as possible.


5 comments:

  1. hmmmm.... not that i'm thinkin though... just hmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nwa nwa kissing in Idoma. My sis u are too much
    God bless u

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said and should reach both men and women single and married. thanx Aihot

    ReplyDelete