Wednesday 26 September 2012

She-the-stranger


I watched her hum her way in and out of the room slamming the door so hard it bounced back on its hinges falling wide open again. Its been 6 days since she came to stay with me and its been 5 days since my irritation began its gradual rise. I have never had to share my space with a stranger before and that is what she still is after 6 days, a stranger! I am usually more friendly than I have been to her but because I have felt more frustration at her presence than companionship, I have kept my distance in case I snap and give her a little more than a piece of my feelings.

Dirty clothes have sat still in a bag by my couch, a damp towel has found its spot on my wardrobe door, strands of hair turn up everywhere and my boots and jackets have found a new owner. I'm more sad at my decision to help this stranger than happy at doing my friend a favour. My friend who I haven't seen in almost 9 years asked me to play host until she-the-stranger finds suitable accomodations. I was quick to accept as I was once a squatter with a friend before I found my place but my host was my friend so I could lounge. Now, I'm stuck with she-the-stranger who wont pick after herself and seems too comfortable in my space; my space which is my solace and now a damp smelly room that reminds me of my undergraduate days.

That humming which would not have mattered on another occassion grated on my nerves as I pulled the duvet over my head. "Please go to school", I prayed silently from under my hiding place. I desperately needed to clean and air my space. 4 hours later, I'm alone "ahhhhh" I sighed in relief, I have at most 7 hours before she-the-stranger returns with her endless questions and over familiarity. I have a few hours to own my space, my solace.
I keep saying to myself, "it could be worse, Ihotu stay calm all izz well"

3 comments:

  1. lol...I know the feeling. Fortunately for me back in school, I had a squatter who was actually a stranger that became a blessing. Today he's my best friend and the CEO of a logistics firm. He's helped me out so many times...I'm so glad I squatted him.

    true...just endure...all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so real and sincere; its good to help people as Christ commands us and as is our nature but sometimes the flesh gets the better of us and makes it so hard, so very hard to do the right thing. Space invasion can be a terrible bother so I totally feel you on this one. Hold on dearie, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Afronuts and Shadrach...learning to share my space without nagging

    ReplyDelete