Saturday 28 April 2012

Trip to BENtv and OHtv



Finally, excursion to Media companies, Bright Entertainment Network (BENtv) and Open Heavens Television (OHtv) was executed. This is the first phase of my project for this semester and it went WELL! as soon as I sat in the coach to return to Birmingham I felt like screaming “It’s done”, I didn’t though.

It didn’t happen without its hurdles. First of all I got a text from one of the 10 people to take off from here saying she was ill and couldn’t make it. I replied that that was fine and she should recover soon as I wondered how I would be able to afford the group ticket now 1 person short. I gave everyone their tickets and we were off to London. I suddenly realised I could ask 1 of the 2 people who were to meet us in Tottenham hale to come to Euston instead to make up our number. Ultimately it was good for him because he lives 5minutes from Euston station in London. Have I mentioned the stress in booking tickets and arranging travel?


Euston station was not without its drama as one of us thought his ticket was a return ticket and kept arguing with the operators to return his ticket so he can return with it. Ignorant of what was causing the delay we waited an extra 10minutes for him to realise his mistake and meet us. Next, the Victoria line had a delay and we were 45minutes late for our first appointment and an hour late for the second appointment. The most frustrating part for me was communicating my haste to the others, only 3 people knew how bad it looked to be late to an appointment and that was a lesson we all learned (for some of us over again).

BEN Tv was great. We met and had a chat with the owner, Alistair Shoyode and the Manager of the company, Emerson Braithwaite. They have 8 channels and broadcast on behalf of NTA and AIT. Alistair said a few things that stayed with me; "success is measured by the impact the station has made in representing Nigeria, Africa, the Caribbeans and the world", "long term is me being able to take care of the people I am responsible for" We got to do a simple talk show with him as well.

OHtv was fun as well as we acted like cast and crew for a show. we also had a long chat with Akin Salami, the CEO and boy was it intriguing and challenging. He told us of their new app, OH box which has 600 chanels for iPad and iPhones which also comes as a decoder and can be carry on trips as it is on IP. Also, they are very business minded here as they constantly look for ventures to manage, campaigns to push. placements to make and in all find the right balance. I found out that they were behind the award winning Nigerian Movie, "Mirror Boy". It was a fascinating experience and I once again felt encouraged about my choice of industry and plans for my future in production (coming soon)

Much appreciation to the lovely award winning presenter, Lola Ogunbadejo for being our contact person to OHtv (watch Afrika Rising)

In all it went well, we met new people and had a great time learning, interacting and getting new contacts. It is great to see what strides Nigerians are making in the UK. Thumbs up!!!

2 comments:

  1. thumps up. my prayer for you is may God fill your good ideas and acts of faith with his own energy so that it all amounts to something.

    ReplyDelete