Monday 4 March 2013

For Elder

I am in pain!
Death has struck again and I am stuck with all these questions again. My heart aches not just for the family and friends of the deceased but for another brilliant mind taken from us, our loss.
The last conversation I had with Elder went like this;



Elder; "hello ma" bowing with a wide smile on his face
Me; "ma yourself, don't turn me into an old woman oh, Elder" pointing my finger in feigned anger and he laughed
Elder; "respect ma" I laughed
Me;"i heard you are the emir of this area, no be small thing" to more laughter
Elder;"me? no oh" with a forced frown on his face
Me;" I wasn't sure of your house anymore its been over 2 years, so I asked some kids if they knew the Anyebes and they said no, I tried again with John and Ene and the kept shaking their heads and as soon as I said Elder they all started smiling and pointing excitedly" now everyoneg was laughing
Elder;"I don't know oh" now shyly
And we all laughed

Last night I received a message that Elder had just passed away, in shock I didn't reply but today dawned and I remembered this conversation and realized that was my good bye. Most of our interactions were just "hello's" and "hi's" or arguments about the need for "aunty" or "ma" in reference to me and now I realize that brilliant smile is gone and that rare calmness has be taken from us all.
I will be sad today and mourn, maybe tomorrow I will feel better or worse but as I mourn today I thank God I had my last conversation with him and it will stay with me forever.
To Uncle Willie, Aunty, John and Ene; I grieve with you until we can pass this phase and laugh at the memories we made with our precious Elder, until we can accept this change.
My deepest condolences

Elder, I will light my candle for you knowing that you are at peace with your source of life.

9 comments:

  1. i didn't know him
    but i miss him some
    i know his dad
    his brother & sister are my pals
    so, i know him
    i know he's at peace with his source
    my heart is heavy
    but then, i leave it in God's hands
    i speak Peace to his family
    i speak Peace to us all
    i speak Peace, knowing confidently that
    IT'S ALL IN GOD'S HANDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder, I don't really kn u, but it feels like I kn u, cus I kn ur sis and brother and I love them both. I see u walk into church most camly and reseverd.u hv left us wondering where to start from or what to do next. Nw I wish I would have spoken to u even once. May ur soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first conversation with Elder was in 2005 and he said You are going to marry my Brother John. I miss u so much My darling. To think I was supposed to see u in april. God knows best. Won't cry too much. Rest in Peace baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. When one tries to find what to say and realizes There are no words. Our words are limiting because they can't express feeling. But I know you are joyful where you are. God bless You Elder, Truly God bless You Elder

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life at best is very brief
    Like the falling of a leaf
    But so bitter this pill to swallow
    And So deep in this grief to wallow
    For Elder was young, Elder was strong
    Elder was kind and suffered long
    He was so loved by the great and the small
    That news of his passing shattered us all
    But we are consoled in his hero's reward
    Away from this world to the bossom of our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like a bag of Ice was thrown at me :-(. This is too painful.

    Andy Madaki

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to be truthful this once, I am not strong enough to take this. I am still yet to come to full terms with this reality. Deep inside I am rebelling, and I am saying, don't tell me God loves him more, God knows better, he is at peace with God. What about my heart that is torn apart, what about my expectations that have been shattered? Please don't tell me all those sweet things, I just want to cry and reverse this fact, if only it is possible. Nimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dont know where to start, this is so painful. looking at Elders pic, im wondering "what must have happened"? the news came as a shock to me. My memories of Elder was him as a lil boy, some 15-16years ago, there are no words to express my pain, all thesame, i give thanks to God. May the almighty comfort his parents,John and my friend Ene. RIP dear one

    ReplyDelete